The Society holds regular meetings throughout the year except in December and January. An integral part of each meeting is a talk given by a noted speaker on topics related to genealogical and historical research. See the full calendar below. All General Meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month, at 6:30 PM. in the BCGS Library. Remember, doors open at 6 PM. Refreshments will be served before the program. Programs are free to Society members, donation requested from non-members.
The society also holds one dinner meeting and one picnic each year. The June Dinner Meeting and the Annual Picnic are held at various locations.
Periodically the Society conducts workshops, seminars, and trips for members and the general public which relate to genealogical research, methodology, and various other related activities.
- Thursday, November 15 @ 6:30pm
Hello GirlsWorld War I by Hallie Vaughn.
- Sunday, December 9 from 12 - 4pm
- Open House – Santa will be here, bring the children.
- Beginner Genealogy Workship
- Monday, May 7 @ 6:30pm at the Spring Township Library | If you are new at genealogy but have wanted to know more about it. Betty Sustello from the Berks County Genealogical Society will be giving a presentation about what it takes to start your research into the genealogy of your family history.
- Genealogy 101: Starting Your Search
- Berks County Genealogical Society is offering a series of four classes for the beginning genealogist. Classes will meet in the society's library, Room 413 at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, 201 Washington Street, Reading, PA 19601.
- Dates: Monday, Oct 8, Oct 15, Oct 22, and Oct 29
- Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Cost: $40 per person for 4 classes, includes use of the library on class days.
- The topics covered are:
Week 1 (10/8) - Getting Started: Collecting Basic Information
Week 2 (10/15) - Using Our Library
Week 3 (10/22) - Using Local Resources
Week 4 (10/29) - Using the Internet and Ancestry.com
- Students must preregister by calling the library any day between noon and 4:00 at (484) 509-4806. Fee is payable at the first class session with cash, check or credit card. Class size is limited, so register now!
- BCGS Volunteer Fair
- Saturday, October 27, from 12:30 - 3:30pm - All organizations that are 100% volunteer run are always looking for help. We are no exception. Usually when we ask for help it is for the library. But, there are other places we could use help. We are having a Volunteer Fair to let people know the other areas where there are openings. More »
- Ongoing in the BCGS Library
- BCGS Book Sale - Everything must go!! Find a gift for the genealogist on your list, or something similar. Prices have been slashed to move the merchandise before we have to give up the space. First come, first served. Book Sale List
- Reading Eagle Digitizing Project Update
- Currently, our microfilm is still at IMR, undergoing the digitization process. It has, however, had some issues. The finished product of some of the rolls was sent to us for our inspection. The purpose of this process was to make the films searchable, but that feature is not working properly. We are working with IMR to see if we can remedy the problem. We will keep you informed. As we raise more funds, another batch will be sent. Thank you for your donations! More »
- Sunday, March 12 | 12 - 4pm
- The Berks County Genealogical Society will hold an Open House on Sunday, March 12, to commemorate National Genealogy Day and to celebrate our 37th anniversary. Join us in Room 413 at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, 201 Washington Street, Reading, PA 19601 from noon to 4 p.m. for refreshments and a FREE one-hour How to Get Started class at 2 p.m.