The Society holds regular meetings throughout the year except in December and January. An integral part of each meeting is a talk given by a noted speaker on topics related to genealogical and historical research. See the full calendar below. All General Meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month, at 6:30 PM. in the BCGS Library. Remember, doors open at 6 PM. Refreshments will be served before the program. Programs are free to Society members, donation requested from non-members.
The society also holds one dinner meeting and one picnic each year. The June Dinner Meeting and the Annual Picnic are held at various locations.
Periodically the Society conducts workshops, seminars, and trips for members and the general public which relate to genealogical research, methodology, and various other related activities.
- Thursday, March 15 @ 6:30pm
- Paul A. Druzba will discuss his book: Carsonia Park - Midway of Memories. Carsonia Park was one of Reading's trolley parks, that existed from 1896, a soggy bottom land, to one of the most popular amusement parks in eastern Pennsylvania, before closing in 1950.
- Thursday, April 19 @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, May 17 @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, July 19 @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, August 16 @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, October 18 @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, November 15 @ 6:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 from 12 - 4pm
- Open House – Santa will be here, bring the children.
- Genealogy 101: Starting Your Search
- Berks County Genealogical Society is offering a series of four classes for the beginning genealogist. Classes will meet in the society's library, Room 413 at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, 201 Washington Street, Reading, PA 19601.
- Dates: Monday, Feb 19, Feb 26, Mar 5, and Mar 12
- Time: 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Cost: $35 per person, includes use of the library on class days.
- The topics covered are:
Week 1 (2/19) - Getting Started: Collecting Basic Information
Week 2 (2/26) - Using Our Library and Other Local Resources
Week 3 (3/5) - Using State and Federal Resources
Week 4 (3/12) - Using the Internet
- Students must preregister by calling the library any day between noon and 4:00 at (484) 509-4806. Fee is payable at the first class session with cash, check or credit card. Class size is limited, so register now!
- Ongoing in the BCGS Library
- BCGS Book Sale - Everything must go!! Find a gift for the genealogist on your list, or something similar. Prices have been slashed to move the merchandise before we have to give up the space. First come, first served. Book Sale List
Reading Eagle Digitizing Project Update - Currently, our microfilm is still at IMR, undergoing the digitization process. It has, however, had some issues. The finished product of some of the rolls was sent to us for our inspection. The purpose of this process was to make the films searchable, but that feature is not working properly. We are working with IMR to see if we can remedy the problem. We will keep you informed. As we raise more funds, another batch will be sent. Thank you for your donations! More »
- Sunday, March 12 | 12 - 4pm
- The Berks County Genealogical Society will hold an Open House on Sunday, March 12, to commemorate National Genealogy Day and to celebrate our 37th anniversary. Join us in Room 413 at the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, 201 Washington Street, Reading, PA 19601 from noon to 4 p.m. for refreshments and a FREE one-hour How to Get Started class at 2 p.m.