Volunteering provides the opportunity to interact with interesting people who care about genealogy and the warm feeling received from helping others.
Would you like to get involved with the Berks County Genealogical Society? Do you have an interest in history or genealogy? Have you ever wanted to try teaching, researching, or developing a program? Consider volunteering at the BCGS. Try your hand at research or transcription in the BCGS Library. Brainstorm new ideas for children's programs, or share your artistic abilities. The opportunities are endless and in most cases, willingness to learn is the main criteria.
Member volunteer opportunities include:
- Assisting patrons in the BCGS Library.
- Doing computer entry of genealogy information.
- Indexing tombstones of local cemeteries.
- Indexing records data.
- Helping with special events and programs.
- Performing genealogical research.
- Performing general office work.
- Brainstorming ideas for programs and events.
Books That Need Indexing
- Becker's St. Peter's Church Records, Richmond Twp.
- Blue Mountain / Blueberger Church Records, Upper Tulphocken Twp
- Burials in the Maidencreek Cemetery, Blandon
- Frieden's Cemetery, Shartlesville, Upper Bern Twp.
- Kissinger's Kirche, Spring Twp.
- Kissinger's Church, Spring Twp.
- Longswamp Cemetery, Longswamp Twp.
- Longswamp Church Burials, Longswamp Twp.
- Maidencreek Evangelical Lutheran Church, Blandon
- Maidencreek Lutheran Church, Blandon
- Mertztown Burials, Longswamp Twp.
- Most Blessed Sacrament Church, Bally, Washington Twp.
- Old Cemetery, Birdsboro, Union Twp.
- Old Forest Church & Lutheran Church Cemeteries, Geigertown, Robeson Twp.
- Plow Church, Robeson Twp.
- Records of the Former Community Bible Church, Temple, Muhlenberg Twp.
- St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery, Hamburg, Windsor Twp.
- St. Michael's Cemetery #2, Tilden Twp.
- St. Paul's Church / Lebanon Church / Smoke Church, Windsor Twp.
If you would like to work on any of these indexing projects or have any questions about them, please contact the BCGS.