The society publishes Journal of the Berks County Genealogical Society, a scholarly quarterly journal edited by Joan Seaman.
Some of the articles may assist genealogists with their research. Here is a list of helpful tips articles.
Volume 34, No. 3, Spring 2014
- Learning the Language Of Soundex, by Shirley Kitner Mainello.
- 1850 Occupations Listed in the Census for Berks County, by Michele Ebert
Volume 34, No. 1, Fall 2013
- Berks County Register of Wills Available at the Berks County Courthouse.
Volume 33, No. 4, Summer 2013
- Fraktur, by Shirley Mainello.
Volume 33, No. 1, Fall 2012
- Enhancing Your Line Of Knots, by Shirley Mainello.
Volume 32, No. 4, Summer 2012
- Researching The Irish ... Names, Cultures, History, by Shirley Mainello.
Volume 32, No. 2, Winter 2011
- Family Bibles Are An Underutilized Genealogical Resource, by Michael Hait.
Volume 32, No. 1, Fall 2011
- How to Determine a Birthdate.
- German Naming Customs, by Shirley Mainello.
Volume 31, No. 4, Summer 2011
- Spanish Naming Customs, by Shirley Mainello.
Volume 31, No. 1, Fall 2010
- Trials of Novice Genealogist, by Lenora Dietrich Adam.
- Ask the Photo Retoucher, by Eric Curtis M. Basir.
Volume 28, No. 4, Summer 2008
- German resources in Berks County and Genealogical Society Library, by Sylvia Ann Moyer Graybill.
- Better PA State Historical Records Access, by Roy Gehris.
Volume 28, No. 2, Winter 2007
- Death in the Family Tree (List of old diseases).
- 100 Rules and Regulations in a One Room Schoolhouse, by Henry J. Kauffman.
Volume 27, No. 1, Fall 2006
- Berks Revolutionary War Soldiers Not Contained in the Pennsylvania Archives, by Mary Owen Steinmetz.
Volume 26, No. 2, Winter 2005
- Finding Female Ancestors After the Marriage, by Michael John Neill.
Volume 25, No. 4, Summer 2005
- Twelve Google Search Tips for Genealogists, by Kimberly Powell.
- Military records, where and what to expect, by Roy F. Gehris.
Volume 24, No. 2, Winter 2003
- GED COM, what is it?, by Roy Gehris.
Volume 23, No. 3, Spring 2003
- Ahnentafel Charts, what are they and why you need one.
All issues of the Berks County Genealogical Society Journal are available from BCGS for purchase, either as an original printer’s over run issue, or a photo copy where original issues have run out. The cost is only $5.00 each (plus shipping and handling). Back issues of the Journal are also available in the BCGS Library for purchase or for photo copying.